Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My First Show & an Exciting Encounter!

I can't believe I haven't had time to blog about this yet, but two Saturdays ago was my first improv show! It all started out as a kind of joke, I mentioned to our teacher that when I was in dance, we put on a recital at the end of the term...so why could we not do that with improv?! The next week he came back and said that Second City had allowed us 30 minutes on the mainstage! This may not seem like a big deal, but we were the first group of students that aren't in the conservatory to get the opportunity to do this! Needless to say, we felt pretty special. We picked out six games to perform and who all would be in them and ran them like a show would be run with our teacher, George, explaining each game before we did them. The show was free and we were all encouraged to invite our friends and family. Obviously I had no family there, but my friends Jocelyn, Mark, and Natalie came so I was very excited they were there! It went over very well with the audience so there's high hopes for our little improv group. We call ourselves "Hell Toupee"...not for any particular reason! It was a perfect ending to our Level C term. I began Level D this past Saturday and after I complete Level E I will be able to audition for the conservatory and begin doing shows on a weekly basis if I make it!
As for my exciting encounter...most of you know I intern at a talent agency a few days a week. One of our clients is Lorna Luft, Judy Garland's daughter and Liza Minelli's sister. I got a call the other day from her and she said she was going to be in the office in about an hour! I was so excited to meet her, and even a bit nervous! She stayed around and chatted for about two hours and was absolutely hilarious. I could've listened to her talk for another two days. The whole time all that was going through my head was "Oh my gosh..your mom was Judy Garland. Your mom was Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Oh my gosh!" I bet she thought I looked a little crazy, but she was very friendly and a total diva (But in a good way!). She had just wrapped a show in London that she had been doing since January and was back in America looking for new projects. I thought it was so funny because she has a son who's trying to furnish an apartment and she kept asking if I knew where cheap couches were..she's surprisingly normal for the crazy life she's had! 
I don't have any pictures or video from the show yet, but I do have a short little video of us in the green room waiting for the show to start. For some reason, I can't upload the video right now so I'll try again this evening. Have a great afternoon!
-emily

No comments:

Post a Comment