Friday, July 17, 2009

A Bittersweet Day


**This picture is of the view from the office I work in....Not bad, huh?!**


Today marks my final day as an intern at The Chasin Agency. When I started this internship in January, Matt (my boss) made it clear that there were no promises for a job at the end of 6 months but that the experience I would get here would be invaluable. He was right! Though the agency doesn't have the resources currently to take on any new hires, I'm leaving here with more than I could've learned about this industry in ten years on my own!

Lately I've been feeling spread too thin. I work at the agency around 15 hours a week, at Cabo at least 30 hours a week, and attending my improv classes 3 and a half hours every Saturday. Though my hours may not be much different from full time, it's hard to work until 3am some nights, get up to be at the agency in the morning, and then go straight from the agency to Cabo again! I usually only have full days off on a random day, such as a Tuesday. I guess you could say I'm ready for things to slow down. I'd like to have more time to get involved in a church in my area, make some new friends, and get in better shape! Not to mention, actually be able to talk to people back home other than through text messages. (Sorry that sounds a little whiny, I'm done I promise!) I thought I would be somewhat excited about this day, but instead I find myself very sad!

Tom Chasin and Matt Gogal were the first people in this city to take a chance on me. When I interviewed here, I had been going on job interviews for months with no luck and was starting to get discouraged. Tom hired me on the spot during my first interview with him. I had no idea at the time how God was blessing my life. Tom and Matt are such good people and have a code of ethics that is extremely hard to come by in this industry. Matt has treated me more like a peer than an intern. (It probably helps that he's only one year older than me--he's the youngest franchised agent in LA!) I never had to get him coffee or run his errands and he was always willing to teach me something new. Since only three of us work here, I've become very close with Matt and Tom...well, mostly Matt because Tom is such a busy man! I know that no matter where I go in this industry I will be ready for it and have a solid, respected reference. In the past 6 months, so much in my life has changed and this internship has been the one constant. I'll miss my few days a week at 8899 Beverly Blvd. but I'm eager to see where life will go from here!!






1 comment:

  1. Your Dad and I are very proud of all you have accomplished in LA. We know how hard it was the first six months. Keep up the good work. I'm sure God will continue to bless your life. I do hope you will have more time to get involved in some of the things you want to. Finding a church would be great....just make sure it isn't the Church of Scientology (HA)! (I know you wouldn't do that).

    MOM

    ReplyDelete