Thursday, June 25, 2009

Belated Fathers' Day

Since I didn't get to be home for Father's Day, I thought I'd write a little blog shout-out to my dad: Gary Ronald Duncan. (Lovingly referred to as "Ronnie" by his family) If it weren't for my dad:

- I wouldn't know the first lines of "I've got Spurs that jingle jangle jingle, as I go ridin' merrily along!" But unfortunately, no lines after that. I've never known the rest of the lines and I probably never will. 

- I wouldn't know the importance of pool maintenance. 

- I would have never been to the Jacksonville Air Force Base and gotten a Military ID that I can use for bragging rights that my dad was in 'Nam.

- I wouldn't know that white cars have the best resale value and are also easiest to keep clean.

- I wouldn't have visited the major southern Civil War battle fields OR gone to the Space Museum in Alabama BEFORE my 5th grade class went as a group.

- I would probably let my gas tank slip below 1/4 of a gallon. (Sorry dad, this happens sometimes! But never my gas light!) Also, I wouldn't know the importance of getting my tires rotated and making sure the pressure is right.

- I wouldn't have any general knowledge of outdoor equipment, hunting gear, guns, and turkey calls. 

- Our house would have no exterior illumination and the blinds would always be left open.

- I wouldn't know how to give a firm handshake and I wouldn't know that "idle hands are the devil's workshop."

- I probably would have gotten more speeding tickets (if that's possible) but dad instilled the fear of God in me. 

Basically, thanks dad for being my dad and teaching me how to be a good person on top of all the little things I've picked up from you through the years! Happy Belated Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment